Pediatric Nursing Capstone Project Ideas
Pediatric is a branch in medicine that is very important as it deals with medical care for newborns and infants. It is one of the most complicated disciplines within the field of nursing and medicine at large. This is mainly attributed to the big disparity between the health of children and adults.
Children are physiologically different from adults and even more vulnerable than adults to various environmental health risks. As such, medical practitioners working in the pediatric field should be very skilled.
Since pediatric nursing is a specialization of nursing, students pursuing this field are required to first undergo the necessary education and training in nursing in undergraduate. Thereafter, a student can branch off to specialize in this area in their Master’s degree in nursing practice or their doctorate. As such, anyone aspiring to be a pediatric nurse goes through rigorous training. They culminate their studies by writing a pediatric nursing capstone project.
What is the Pediatric Nursing Capstone Project?
A pediatric nursing capstone project is an academic work that uses facts, data, experiments, and practical pediatric nursing experience to enhance the professional skills of pediatric nursing students. A capstone project ought to make an active argument, therefore, it is important to pick a topic that interests you the most both in writing and possibly the person assessing it. No doubt, choosing a pediatric nursing capstone project idea that applies to your previous experience and future career is vital.
The capstone project like we mentioned above often comes during the final semester of your pediatric nursing course. It particularly allows the student to show their theoretical competence and the line of their career after graduation.
Leading Subspecialties of Pediatric Nursing
Students pursuing to improve the children’s health will find a fulfilling nursing career in pediatrics. This specialty has many subspecialties that require a specific set of talents and interests while addressing particular medical issues in children. The following are some of the leading pediatric subspecialties:
- Pediatric cardiology
- Pediatric hematology/ oncology
- Pediatric surgery
- Pediatric endocrinology
- Pediatric critical care
- Adolescent medicine
- Child abuse pediatrics
- Pediatric allergy and immunology
- Pediatric infectious diseases
- Pediatric emergency medicine
- Pediatric hospice and palliative medicine
- Pediatric pulmonology
Each of these subspecialties plays a great and unique role in enhancing pediatric health outcomes while inspiring hope in the future health of every child. For students, these specialties provide a great variety of topics that they can choose from to write their capstone projects in pediatric nursing.
A great pediatric nursing project can be crafted only if you find the best idea for yourself. So, what is this topic idea that is best for you as a student?
- The idea which you find interesting to research and write: Often the research process takes a lot of time, therefore, most of the time you must rely on your interest. This will make the completion of your project smooth and hassle-free.
- The idea that most other students and researchers find high-potential to explore: Your pediatric project just like many other medical projects should be projected according to the current issues and potential medical issues that may emerge in the future.
- The idea that is feasible and achievable to search and investigate: If you go into writing a pediatric capstone project without proper set aims and objectives, it will be difficult to establish whether the idea or topic you choose is good or not. If your aims and objectives are not achieved by the idea you pick now, then it is advisable to get another one, right?
By following the three steps we have discussed above, you have high chances to draft a masterpiece pediatric capstone project that will impact most children’s health positively.
Pediatric Nursing Capstone Project Ideas
Most students and researchers pursuing pediatric nursing derive their capstone project ideas from a variety of topics. However, most of them narrow their ideas to write on Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). This disorder is becoming more widespread among children and teenagers, thus requires several pieces of research on how to effectively control it. Study this research, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder in Children and Adolescents: Clinical Features and Diagnosis, to get a rough idea on your capstone project idea under this topic.
Autism is another popular topic that is widely researched in pediatric nursing projects. Students and pediatric scientists conduct several studies and experiments to find the unique features of children with autism and determine what makes them different. Students through their capstone projects also try to find the cause of this condition. Outcomes from most recent studies have attributed this condition to the use of antidepressants during pregnancy. Nonetheless, some scientists claim that there is no relationship between autism and antidepressants, therefore, there needs to more thorough research on this idea.
Immunization is another widely researched area in pediatric nursing. This area has a variety of ideas that you can use in your pediatric nursing capstone project. Ideally, vaccination is a crucial tool in the fight and prevention of diseases such as measles and chickenpox. However, most parents claim that vaccination can also pose a risk to children’s health and life and they base their argument on cases of children’s deaths occasioned by vaccination. You can take up the idea of how to make vaccines safer for all children and create an amazing capstone project.
Other great pediatric nursing capstone project ideas worth exploring include:
- Medical complications of eating disorders based on 5 case studies
- Medical concerns of a child who is suspected as a victim of abuse
- Effective diagnostic testing for sexually transmitted diseases
- Prediction of seasonal allergic diseases in children using specific markers
- Top 5 genetic disorders, syndromes, and malformations of Gen Alpha
- Metabolic and molecular causes of genetic diseases
- Vaccines for the immune system protecting a person against new infections
- The glycemic control among children with T1DM
- Mild traumatic brain injury: Neuroimaging study based on a validated symptom rating scale
- Screening to prevent sudden cardiac death in newborn children.
Tips for Writing a Great Pediatric Nursing Capstone Paper
The pediatric nursing capstone project usually culminates in your nursing studies. As a student, you are required to base your project on a pediatric problem, steps on how to solve the problem, the means, and the equipment needed to measure as well as your recommendations. Granted, here are some of the basic guidelines to help you write an intuitive capstone project.
1. Research your Pediatric Topic Extensively
To create a great pediatric nursing capstone project, you will require to research thoroughly for your topic. You can get valuable information from pediatric academic journals, books, databases, and other authentic relevant online sources. Don’t hesitate from asking real professional pediatricians who deal with most problems in their line of duty. They will most likely have unique experience and knowledge that can be valuable to your project issue. Keep track by noting all the information, data, and all the relevant sources you get your information from.
2. Use the Most Effective Research Methods
Certainly, there are plenty of methods that are used in medical research. However, some may be more relevant to your project than others. You can get the most effective method for your project by focusing on the question(s) you intend to answer in your project.
3. Outline All Your Research Process on Paper
Writing a capstone project involves many steps that include:
- Identifying and analyzing information
- Finding and applying the research methods
- Presenting and discussing the outcomes of research
Other parts include the introduction, conclusion, recommendations, and bibliography. Be sure to develop and express your ideas and information in a clear and precise manner.
Besides, ensure all academic requirements for writing capstone projects along with those of your university are observed to the latter. We hope that after reading all through to this point, you have gotten helpful insights and ideas on how and what to write in your pediatric nursing capstone project.